1917 Chillicothe was transformed almost overnight as Ohio was awarded one of thirty-two training sites across the country. Camp Sherman was built in only a few months immediately after America’s entry into WW1 and was one of the largest constructed training centers in the country. During the three years it was open, Camp Sherman trained thousands of soldiers and sent one army division to Europe before the end of the war. Camp Sherman Memorial Park was established to commemorate the thousands of men who became soldiers at the camp and bravely served their country.
Camp Sherman Memorial Park is located on a portion of the original training grounds and accounts for 14.75 of nearly 2,000 acres of what was once Camp Sherman property.